Mining is a skill focused around mining stone and ore. A notable perk of this skill is the higher potential yield from each ore, increased even further when using an active skill. Mining also adds new functionality to TNT, by allowing remote detonation. Mining is a parent skill of Smelting.
unlocked by reaching level 50.
Speed + Triple drop chance
Super Breaker (activated by right-clicking with a pickaxe in hand), will temporarily add 5 Efficiency levels to the held pickaxe, triple the double drop rate, and replace normal-rate double drops with triple drops. In other words, Super Breaker stacks with fortune 3 enhancements.
The duration of the skill starts at 2 seconds, and increases by 1 second every 50 levels. There is no maximum duration. Its default cooldown time is 240 seconds.
Double the normal loot
Double drops is a passive skill that allows the player to gain two items instead of the usual one when mining any naturally generated block found in the experience table below. The odds of this happening increase by 0.1% per level to a maximum of 100% at level 1000. It does not stack with the Fortune enchantment, but does work with Silk Touch.
Bonuses to mining with TNT
Locked until level 125 mining
Instead of using a pickaxe to break blocks, Blast Mining utilizes TNT to destroy and mine blocks. It is activated by using a flint & steel outside of the standard ignition range (shift and right-click the air between yourself and the TNT). Unlike ignition in vanilla, the TNT explodes instantly.
With Blast Mining, the range at which the TNT ignites is extended. Higher Mining levels will yield more ores and less debris. By default, TNT drops 30% of what is blown up, and is increased further with each level.
Increases TNT explosion radius
Locked until level 375 mining
The Bigger Bombs ability increases the explosive range of TNT ignited with Blast Mining. At level 375, it adds 2 to the radius of the explosion. At level 625, this bonus is increased to 3. And at level 875, the radius gains its maximum bonus of 4.
Decreases damage from TNT explosions
Locked until level 500 mining
Demolitions expertise is a passive ability that reduces the damage done by TNT with Blast Mining by 25%. At level 750, the damage is decreased by 50%. At level 1000, damage reduction is 100%.
Note that TNT ignited through standard means still causes harm, and only when ignited through Blast Mining is the damage negated.
- The double drops ability does not stack with the fortune enchantment. To circumvent this, use a silk touch pickaxe to obtain the additional ores, place them back on the ground, and then mine with a fortune pickaxe for the maximum possible yield.
- When mining, leave any ore blocks behind and continue exploring. When the area is clear and the ores are more exposed, activate super breaker for a chance at triple drops.
- Collect all the ores that you can find while mining, including coal.
- Due to its low hardness value, netherrack is among the fastest blocks to mine. Go to the nether with an Efficiency II or more diamond pickaxe and mine netherrack for quick leveling, though be wary of lava pockets.
- The Haste II buff (obtainable via potion or beacon), combined with an Efficiency V diamond pickaxe, allows stone to be instantly broken.
- Endstone gives the second-highest exp for non-ore blocks. Mining in The End with an Efficiency pickaxe is a very fast method to level this skill.
- End City blocks give high amounts of XP (200-250) and can be instantly mined with Haste II and Efficiency V. Wearing Elytra will prevent falling. Since End Cities can be very large, it is the fastest way to level Mining.
Please note that the values listed below are the default values, and may be different on servers with custom configurations.