Alchemy is a miscellaneous skill based on brewing potions. It is leveled through the creation and modification of potions in a brewing stand. Additionally, a few potion effects can be made that would otherwise be unobtainable in vanilla Minecraft.
Brewing ingredients into potions takes less time the higher your Alchemy skill, beyond level 100
At certain Alchemy levels, you can unlock new recipes for crafting potions, as follows:
Important things to note about these custom recipes:
- Attempting to brew gunpowder or Dragon's Breath into the custom potions created only by unlockable recipes will result in an Uncraftable Splash or Lingering potion, respectively. This potion has no effect. However, using gunpowder or Dragon's Breath on an awkward potion and then adding the custom ingredient last will result in a Splash or Lingering potion of the proper effect, respectively.
- Ingredients that have been named in an anvil can NOT be used in Alchemy's custom recipes, and will not receive the Catalysis brewing speed boost. (i.e. a Slimeball named "Fred" can NOT make a dullness potion, and a Fermented Spider Eye named "RIP George" will brew at regular speed regardless of the brewer's Alchemy skill.)
Experience Gain Edit
- First Brew (water bottle to awkward potion): 15xp per brewed potion (45xp for full stand)
- Second Brew (awkward potion to any other potion): 30xp per brewed potion (90exp for full stand)
- Third Brew (using either redstone or glowstone): 60xp per brewed potion (180exp for full stand)
- Fourth Brew (splash potion via gunpowder): 120xp per brewed potion (360exp for full stand)
Exceptions to Experience Edit
- When using fermented spider eyes to turn water bottles into potions of weakness, each potion grants 30xp. This skips the step of granting 15xp per potion for brewing awkward potions.
- Turning potions of healing into potions of harming with fermented spider eye yields no experience.
- No experience is awarded for Harming II potions via glowstone, but gunpowder still grants the expected 120xp per potion. This can be avoided by creating Poison II and then using fermented spider eye to turn it into Harming II.
- Lingering potions do not give any experience upon creation.
- Speed potions are very simple to make and if you have enough brewing stands, you can easily level your alchemy by making lots of them.
- Do not alternate between redstone and glowstone - it does not change XP amounts!
- You can hold up to 36 potions at a time. If you are making batches of potions (for efficiency), keep these numbers in mind. You need 36 glass to make 36 bottles. You need 12 brewing stands, and 12 of whatever ingredients you need to add
- The animation for brewing does not occur when adding glowstone or redstone to custom potions, but still works.
- The same also applies when adding the ingredient for a custom potion.