Alchemy [edit | edit source]
Alchemy is a miscellaneous skill based on brewing potions. It is leveled through the creation and modification of potions in a brewing stand. Additionally, some effects that are normally unobtainable through vanilla potions are given custom recipes.
Passive Abilities[edit | edit source]
Catalysis[edit | edit source]
Brewing ingredients into potions takes less time the higher your Alchemy skill, beyond level 100.
Concoctions[edit | edit source]
At certain Alchemy levels, new recipes are unlocked for potions, as follows:
Important things to note about these custom recipes:
- Attempting to brew gunpowder or Dragon's Breath into the custom potions will result in an Uncraftable Splash or Lingering potion, respectively. This potion has no effect. However, using gunpowder or Dragon's Breath on an Awkward Potion and then adding the custom ingredient last will result in a Splash or Lingering potion of the proper effect, respectively. Does not work on 1.12.2 servers.
- Ingredients that have been named in an anvil CANNOT be used in the custom recipes, and will not receive the Catalysis brewing speed boost. (i.e. a Slimeball named "Fred" CANNOT make a dullness potion, and a Fermented Spider Eye named "RIP George" will brew at regular speed regardless of the brewer's Alchemy skill.)
Experience Gain[edit | edit source]
- First Brew (water bottle to awkward potion): 15xp per brewed potion (45xp for full stand)
- Second Brew (awkward potion to any other potion): 30xp per brewed potion (90exp for full stand, 135exp full stand if brewed from First Brew to Second Brew)
- Third Brew (using either redstone or glowstone): 60xp per brewed potion (180exp for full stand, 315exp full stand if brewed from First Brew to Third Brew)
- Fourth Brew (splash potion via gunpowder): 120xp per brewed potion (360exp for full stand, 675exp full stand if brewed from First Brew to Fourth Brew)
Exceptions to Experience[edit | edit source]
- When using fermented spider eyes to turn water bottles into Potions of Weakness, each potion grants 30xp. This is because this recipe doesn't start with Nether Wart.
- Turning Potions of Healing into Potions of Harming with fermented spider eyes yields no experience. This appears to be an oversight.
- No experience is awarded for brewing Harming II potions via glowstone, but gunpowder still grants the expected 120xp per potion. This can be avoided by creating Poison II and then using fermented spider eye to turn it into Harming II.
- Lingering potions do not give any experience upon creation.
Leveling[edit | edit source]
- Speed potions are very simple to make, having common materials.
- Do not alternate between redstone and glowstone - it does not change XP amounts! YES
- You can hold up to 36 potions at a time. If you are making batches of potions (for efficiency), keep these numbers in mind. You need 36 glass to make 36 bottles. You need 12 brewing stands, and 12 of whatever ingredients you need.
- Hoppers controlled with a lever can be used to add and remove bottles from brewing stands. Excess potions can be funneled into a dispenser and dumped into lava, removing the limitations of player inventory space from XP grinding.
- Note that you must still manually open the brewing stand and insert ingredients for each brew in order to gain XP.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- The animation for brewing does not play when adding custom ingredients, or modifying custom potions with glowstone or redstone. It will still brew as normal.